The Affordable Care Act’s March 1, 2013 deadline for employers to provide written notice to employees about their state’s health insurance exchange has been postponed until further notice, according to a recent announcement by the US Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services and Treasury. The anticipated timing for distribution of the notices will be in late summer or fall, in advance of the open enrollment period that begins in October for individuals to purchase health insurance through the new exchanges.
When operable, the exchanges will serve to:
- Certify qualified health plans to be offered in the exchange
- Provide online information to help consumers compare qualified health plans
- Operate a toll-free hotline for consumer assistance
- Determine consumer eligibility for enrollment in qualified health plans and insurance affordability programs (such as Medicaid and insurance premium tax credits)
- Help consumers enroll in qualified health plans
To track your state’s progress in setting up a health insurance exchange, please visit the Kaiser Family Foundation website which has up-to-date profiles for each state.